RE: The murky intersection of accessibility and internationalization

From: Sean Murphy (seanmmur) <seanmmur@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 03:42:29 +0000
To: Andrew Cunningham <andj.cunningham@gmail.com>, WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Andrew,

Do the language tag code cover the languages of concern?

Visually I can see the issues you have highlighted being a problem if there are no font support.

In the world of screen readers, there is three components I can think of which could cause an  issue:
* Does the screen reader support the language by default or do you have to get third party language TTS?
* Is there a TTS (synthesizer) support for the language. So when the screen reader  detects the language code, it switches to the correct TTS.
* Braille from my knowledge does not support UTF-8. The correct Braille language drivers need to be available for the screen reader to support the language.

Everything else you outlined seems to be fine in my small neck of the woods.

Sean Murphy