From: Sean Murphy (seanmmur)
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 3:22 AM
To: Matthew Putland ; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Heading structure with 1.3.1 Info and Relationships and 2.4.1 Bypass Block

Mathew,

Adding to your discussion, I have seen references to web content structure that states only a single h1 should be present on a site. In practise, I have seen this not being followed which I don’t think is really a issue. Jumpping from a h1 to a h3 also I don’t see as an issue for a disable user. I think the most important aspect is if there is consistency for the structure of the page.

For argument sakes: If a site had the following structure (for give the formatting):

<H1>1.1 text</h1>

  <h3>sub-header 1</h3>

  <h3>sub-header 21</h3>

    <h4>Important text</h4>

  <h3>sub-header 3</h3>

<h1>2. Some other text</h1>

  <h2>sub-header 1</h2>

    <h3>minor section 1</h3>

      <h4>important text</h4>

    <h3>minor section 2</h3>

  <h2>sub-header 2</h2>

Based upon the above, The H1 has broken up the content of the page into two major sections. Having or not having the h2 tag, the user should still be able to understand the structure.

In relation to your 2nd part of the question. This is really an assistive technology solution at this present time. I recall someone creating Javascripts or a plugin for Firefox to simulate the screen reader hot keys. Personally I think this should be built into the web browser using the currently defined keystrokes used by screen readers. Generically speaking they use the first letter of the tag in most cases. Then keyboard users can benefit from this feature.

Sean Murphy

Accessibility Software engineer

seanmmur@cisco.com

Tel: +61 2 8446 7751       Cisco Systems, Inc.

The Forum 201 Pacific Highway

ST LEONARDS

2065

Australia