Re: Are developers responsible for video full screen mode (Success Criteria 2.3.1)

Question 1:  Does your site fail if the image is at Full Screen?     If not — then of course you are ok.

If it DOES fail at full screen — and full screen viewing is an option on your page — then the safe thing to do is to place a warning above the video that says    "CAUTION: When viewed full screen this video may trigger seizures in people who are photosensitive”

[To not put up such a warning is a bit like leaving an open manhole cover without warning barriers -  for people who have photosensitive seizure disorders. ]

There was the famous incident in Japan where a cartoon sent about ~300 children to the hospital.   They then showed the video on the evening news and sent another ~300 to the hospital.

And then there was the London Olympics Promotion video...

Question 2:  If it does fail at full screen - what is it that fails?   The Trace R&D Center Photosensitive Epilepsy Analysis Tool will show you exactly where it fails.    There are a number of things that can be done to a video that fails - so that it will not fail.

But it usually is hard to fail the test - and there are ways to change a video very subtly to fix them.

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu