simple language subtag

From: Tobias Bengfort <tobias.bengfort@posteo.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 12:42:29 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi,

back in september 2015 I sent a message to this list asking about
opinions on a "simple" language variant subtag. This would allow to
provide a "version that does not require reading ability more advanced
than the lower secondary education level" (WCAG20 3.1.5) like this:

  <link href="..." hreflang="en-simple" rel="alternate" />

In the meantime, this variant subtag has actually been registered[1]
(not by me).

Should the technique described above be included in the "How to Meet
WCAG 2.0" document? Or should we wait for ATs to actually support this?
If so, how can we push support in ATs?

tobias

[1]: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.languages/11065