Re: Visibly hidden controls

I agree that this more of a usability issue of “Do users know there are extra options available”? IMO, I also agree that designers underestimate how much the general population knows about certain symbols like the “hamburger menu” (the 3 bars), the gear icon for settings and clicking a logo to go to the site’s home page.

In fact, the Norman Nielsen group has documented that a large percentage of  users DO  miss hidden navigation options in a lot of interfaces and that it usually takes longer to find content when too many navigation options are hidden.
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/hamburger-menus/
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/support-mobile-navigation/

There may be times when you have to minimize available options in an interface, but I would say its important to be clear how to get to the additional options.

My two cents
Elizabeth

> On Dec 5, 2016, at 11:12 PM, Michael A. Peters <mpeters@domblogger.net> wrote:
>
> The response I got was it needs to be collapsed to make the site look better on cell phones and that everyone knows the three bars opens it, that's the standard.
>
> I guess because I mostly use my phone as a phone (I don't trust the privacy / security of the app craze) it was a "standard" I wasn't hip enough to know about.

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Teaching and Learning with Technology
Penn State University