RE: SC 1.3.3 - text alternative or no visible label?

Ø  Thanks for the response. I did look through the archives before posting, but couldn't find anything that covered this issue. I'll log the success criterion assignment of the failure technique as you suggest.

Adam, it was actually discussed on the WCAG WG list that is publically readable.  Sorry for not being clear.
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2016AprJun/0047.html

Ø  To my way of thinking, the example I provided touches on a few specific issues: Firstly, the understanding of what the orientation and the change in orientation means. Second, the decidability of the meaning of the control (whether it means current state or outcome of activating)

I would agree with David for your particular example in relationship to programmatically determinable does relate to SC 1.3.1 information and relationships or perhaps SC 4.1.2.  If you are actually talking about an x or other text character then likely SC 1.1.1 is not the right place although ASCII art is mapped to SC 1.1.1.  I was more broadly speaking to your question whether visual textual labels were required in addition to icons.

Ø  Third, the broader question of meaning conveyed by  graphical content (i.e., pictographic).
This is something that in my opinion is not covered under the current WCAG 2 which I believe will be addressed to some extent by the task forces for WCAG 2.1.  But at this point it's too soon to know exactly what will or will not make it in given the timeline.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com<mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website<http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/SSBBARTGroup> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ssbbartgroup> | Linkedin<https://www.linkedin.com/company/355266?trk=tyah> | Blog<http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/>
Join SSB at Accessing Higher Ground This Month!<http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/join-ssb-accessing-higher-ground-month/>

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Thanks for the response. I did look through the archives before posting, but couldn't find anything that covered this issue. I'll log the success criterion assignment of the failure technique as you suggest.

To my way of thinking, the example I provided touches on a few specific issues:

Firstly, the understanding of what the orientation and the change in orientation means.

Second, the decidability of the meaning of the control (whether it means current state or outcome of activating)

Third, the broader question of meaning conveyed by  graphical content (i.e., pictographic).

I'd be interested to know what the WAI-IG thinks because it will inform my practice.

Cheers,
Adam