RE: courses for designers and developers.

> I am wondering if Universities, Third party trainers and the like cover accessibility in their development and UX courses? If so, is there any resources for different countries to indicate which training organisations that cover this in their courses and what level of quality the training is?

Hi Sean Murphy,

>From my own experience and talking with others, Accessibility training in web dev and UX courses are few and far between. My own I.T Degree which I completed at the end of 2015 only discussed accessibility for 3 marks of a single assignment, and that's in my entire degree. My UX designer colleague from the University of Sydney had a lecture on accessibility, but of course 1 lecture isn't enough to go to a very deep level.

There is however an online 6-week University-level course that my organization runs called the "Professional Certificate of Web Accessibility<http://www.unisa.edu.au/education-arts-and-social-sciences/communication-international-studies-and-languages/pcwa/>" at the University of South Australia, which is completely self-promoting but may assist with what you're looking for.

I'm unsure if there's any collaboration between countries on what is taught accessibility-wise, but I'd say there's still a sad lack of accessibility training in general for these courses.

Cheers,

Matthew Putland
Senior Analyst, Digital Accessibility | Media Access Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, Victoria Park WA 6100
Tel: 08 9311 8230 (direct) 02 9212 6242 (main) Mobile: 0431 924 288 Web: www.mediaaccess.org.au<http://www.mediaaccess.org.au/>

My working hours are from 11am-7:30pm AEST (8am-4:30pm AWST).

Media Access Australia<http://www.mediaaccess.org.au/> - inclusion through technology and Access iQ(r)<http://www.accessiq.org/> - creating a web without limits. Follow us on Twitter @mediaaccessaus<https://twitter.com/mediaaccessaus> @AccessiQ<https://twitter.com/accessiq>

I am wondering if Universities, Third party trainers and the like cover accessibility in their development and UX courses? If so, is there any resources for different countries to indicate which training organisations that cover this in their courses and what level of quality the training is?
Sean Murphy
Accessibility Software engineer
seanmmur@cisco.com<mailto:seanmmur@cisco.com>
Tel: +61 2 8446 7751      Cisco Systems, Inc.
The Forum 201 Pacific Highway
ST LEONARDS
2065
Australia