From: Patrick H. Lauke [mailto:redux@splintered.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, 3 November 2016 4:18 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: How 1.4.4 Resize text applies when mobile templates kick in

On 02/11/2016 17:12, Phill Jenkins wrote:
> "Often the mobile/tablet version of websites do not contain the same
> content as the desktop version."
>
> Can you give some example?
>
> I've seen complex grids turn into card views as a result of narrowing
> the browser width (not zoom) on a desktop, all the information, but
> formatted very differently.
> My interpretation of "without loss of content or functionality" does
> _not_ include exact same format, or exact same relative place of
> information.  We should encourage reflow of format and responsive
> design in my opinion.
>
> and a question for the group:  if we interpret that 1.4.4 must keep
> all the information in the same relative place, then keeping all that
> information in complex grid formats (e.g. data tables) will require
> left-right scrolling.

I don't think anybody's interpreting 1.4.4 in that way, no.

> Usually responsive design keeps all the information and all the
> functionality.  However, there are examples of only have one search
> instead of two, or only one set of footer links, or you have to really
> scroll down to find all the sections, of there is no longer the sub
> menus requiring a person to select a menu item to determine its sub
> menu
> - is that a loss of functionality - no in my opinion because it still
> requires one and only one user interaction,  We need more specific
> examples to better discuss this than general statements.

That's not a loss of content/functionality, no. It may require more/different steps to get to, but it's still there/workable.

Related, I think a lot of the ground of this was covered in great detail on this other thread earlier in the year https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2016AprJun/0889.html

(warning: long read, with branching parallel discussions...but the end result is pretty much what we've said already in short here - the small-screen/small-viewport version, which is also triggered on large screens when user zooms in browser or makes their browser window smaller than their large desktop monitor, must have the same content/functionality)

Patrick H. Lauke

www.splintered.co.uk | https://github.com/patrickhlauke http://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | http://redux.deviantart.com