Re: Is the <form> tag mandatory?

A few years ago, when a developer gave us a form without the FORM tag, the version of  JAWS we had did not enter forms mode (i.e. the LABELS were not read out for an input form even though the attribute was in the code).

Maybe that problem was “fixed” in newer versions screen readers, but since you can’t assume everyone has been able to update their version of JAWS, I would still recommend using the FORM tag. It’s also semantic good practice.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth
> On Oct 27, 2016, at 12:49 PM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 27 October 2016 at 17:33, Elizabeth Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu> wrote:
> If no one has yet indicated this, many screen readers need the FORM tag in order to process the input fields and associated LABEL attributes correctly.
>
> Hi Elizabeth, do you have some examples where the lack of a form element causes a problem?
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> SteveF
> Current Standards Work @W3C