Re: Fill in the blank questions - best approach for denoting the blank

One option could be include the text “blank” as white on white or some sort of hidden text. It could be styled to have an underline or a visible bottom border via CSS.
Most screen readers do ignore this type of punctuation by default.

My two cents
Elizabeth

> On Sep 27, 2016, at 3:07 PM, Gies, Edward M. (ELS-DAY) <Ted.Gies@elsevier.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> We are working on a LMS system with fill in the blank questions.
> The particular type of fill in the blank is a simple variety where the user reads the text with the blank followed by a reveal the answer button.
>
> As an example, this sentence shows a blank using 4 underscores:
>
> The best approach for providing visually hidden text is ____ because it uses modern standards and supported across browsers.
>
> Within the HTML we are using underscores to visually render the blanks within each sentence.
> These underscores are not read at all by JAWS 17 or NVDA using default verbosity settings.
>
> Does anyone have a good approach for providing a text equivalent?  My first thought was to put in a CSS hidden word for “blank” right before the underscores.
>
> Thanks,
> Ted

Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer