Re: WCAG 2.1

Wayne,
you make a lot of really good points,
some critical needs that may have been overlooked.
My recommendation is to continue on the line of thinking
that "There are user agent problems",
and to get that handful of browsers to not only get those problems fixed,
but,
to address some of the preceived "content author" problems.
Even though there are many problems where
"the solution is entirely within the scope of content authors"
I believe that with some hard work with the browser guys and gals,
that those problems may be even easier solved with better browsers
without external AT.
It just seems to me to be an even more
achievable battle or war
to fight and join the browser guys
than spread ourselves too thin with all the conent authors,
there are just too many of them.

This next example doesn't solve some of the problems you mentioned,
but there are some pretty good APIs available to
AT developers,  browser developers, and authoring tool developers
that can already send an image to a software service
to get the text alternative on the fly.
In other words, no need to wait for the content author to make the repair
and add the alt text.

The era of cognitive computing is upon us.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
Senior Engineer & Business Development Executive
IBM Research - IBM Accessibility