Re: Color contrast (Minimum)

Using Color Contrast Analyzer, I get this:

> Foreground: #CA0814 - Background: #000000
>
> The contrast ratio is: 3.6:1
>
> Text failed at level AA
> Text failed at level AAA
> Large text passed at level AA
> Large text failed at level AAA
>
> 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum):  Text (and images of text) have a contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1, except if the text is pure decoration.  Larger scale text (at least 18 point or 14 point bold) or images of text can have a contrast ratio of 3:1. (Level AA)
>
> 1.4.6 Contrast (Enhanced): Text (and images of text) have a contrast ratio of at least 7:1, except if the text is pure decoration.  Larger scale text (at least 18 point or 14 point bold) or images of text can have a contrast ratio of 4.5:1. (Level AAA)
>
> Note: Fonts that are extraordinarily thin or decorative are harder to read at lower contrast levels.

Unfortunately, while passing AA for large text, even the black on red is difficult to see for a person like me (without noteworthy vision problems).

That much said: the conversion to grayscale (using Adobe Photoshop) gives me:

which by far does not look as bad as what has been shared initially (for me it’s actually kind of OK to read).

If I use “use grayscale” in Mac accessibility settings, I get a slightly less rich in contrast version. If I activate “increase contrast” on top, I get almost the same as the original example (but still not as dark).

Important: Exercises like this are not really ‘exact science’, as there are too many uncontrolled variables.

All in all I think it is fair to say “your mileage may vary”, and as Andrew pointed out: per the contrast formula used by WCAG 2, the contrast is just fine for large text (for  AA).

Olaf