Re: Using WAI-ARIA for code folding?

From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 10:28:46 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Thanks to Sean and Nicholas for their comments and suggestions!

FWIW, I found a couple of articles that seem pretty relevant to this task.
Unfortunately, both of them are a bit dated.  Has the web browser or screen
reader environment changed in any way that I should take into account?

  Using ARIA trees (W3C wiki, 2012)
  https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_ARIA_trees

  (Not so) Simple ARIA Tree Views and Screen Readers (Jason Kiss, 2013)
  http://accessibleculture.org/articles/2013/02/not-so-simple-aria-tree-views-and-screen-readers

The second article suggests a "best approach" that handles some issues
that the author found in various browsers and screen readers:

  In this proposed best approach, the tree view uses an unordered list, and
  each list item has a nested link.  The list items have role="treeitem",
  and implement aria-selected, aria-level, and aria-expanded if they have
  children.  The nested link in each list item is set with role="presentation"
  and tabindex="-1".  All of these attributes are added using JavaScript,
  since the functionality of the tree view depends on scripted arrow key
  controls.

Does this seem like a reasonable starting point?

-r

 --
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           rdm@cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841

Software system design, development, and documentation