multibyte content (was: Question: Key Operation of Dropdown menu)

On 25/07/2016 17:16, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:

> VoiceOver also has no issues with multibyte. One does have to make
>  sure the lang attribute is set correctly in the HTML.

Setting the lang attribute correctly is good advice, but is it sufficient?
One issue that I encounter rather frequently is that pages that use
multi-byte content are still sent over the network as Windows-1252 or a
variant of ISO/IEC 8859. On the user side, this can usually be fixed by
choosing a different encoding in the browser (e.g. "More tools ..." >
"Encoding" in Chrome's hamburger menu), but most non-technical users
don't know about this feature. In some cases, even changing to a
different encoding won't help. I assume this is because both the
document encoding and the server's HTTP charset parameter are incorrect.
(See <https://www.w3.org/International/articles/http-charset/index>.)

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

“I drink tea and I know things.”
Falsely attributed to Christophe Lannister.