Re: Access Accessibility information from JavaScript

a bit of a parable.  in the early days of railroading in the USA each
railroad set a distance between the track or guage that they would use.
each comparny often would pick a different guage to prevent othter
railroad cars from running on their track. during the American civil war
the USA general Herman Haupt decided on a standard guage for all military
operations and it was a guage most often used in the North.

after the war many many dollars were spent reguaging railroads all over
the USA to this standard guage. (1435mm)  even to this day there are still
three major "standard" guages used in the world and a number of lesser
ones.

how does this fit.   in the computer world when computers were a new toy
and everybody had thier own idea of how to do things there were many
different OS.   it didn't take a war but it has shaken out to three major
standard OS's in use in the world  Windows, Mac, Unix/linux based systems.
since they have no reason to cooperate and are in direct competition with
each other for money and market shore.
there so far has been no computer war but there is no incentive for the OS
to work together.  our job at W3C/WAI would be so much easier if it were a
single OS set as standard. but (most)  governments cannot favor one
company over the other it can only say it has to work no matter what OS.

thus the problems with Javascript, PDF and so many other great apps that
will work fine in one OS and totally bog down in annother if it works at
all.

even cross platform attempts like OpenOffice.org have had limited success.
until we can get competing companies to see the benefits of cross platform
utilization this will continue.
many I know who use adaptive equipment say the internet gets harder and
harder to use daily.

this is a long winded explanation of the problem. and unforhtunately I
don't have an answer and we as a group and individually strive to force
this round peg into the square hole almost daily.

good luck
Bob