RE: Question: Key Operation of Dropdown menu

Hi,
In looking at the code shown on that page, it looks like the only roles present are role=menubar and role=menu for the construct plus embedded links with no roles. I'm unable to locate a working example that shows this in action though both in IE11 and FF. Is this present on the page? I can't tell if the required child roles are being added dynamically.

The containers with role=menubar or role=menu require focusable children with role=menuitem, or role=menuitemcheckbox, or role=menuitemradio. All ARIA Menu constructs require owned children with these roles.
E.G
http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/#menubar
and
http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/#menu

To visually see these roles in action, try using Visual ARIA at
                                http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/visual-aria.htm

When the bookmarklet is active and you are using the keyboard, any elements that receive focus that don't include these roles will be shown in red font.

The following Menubar example shows how keyboard functionality is programmed according to spec, which also includes the requisite keyboard information for relevant nodes:
https://github.com/accdc/aria-menubar

                Within the global.css file, the classes are set up so that the required roles plus supporting attributes plus focusability is clearly conveyed as implemented.

Though ARIA 1.1 supports the use of aria-orientation to convey the horizontal or vertical layout of role=menubar or role=menu now, there is little to no support for conveying this to screen reader users at present, so the above example includes logic to accomplish this accessibly in the meantime.

All the best,
Bryan

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow