RE: Strategies sighted web developers have come up with...

I work for DHS in the USA and we test not for specific tools, but for the markup that feeds them. So I put together a training deck for our developers that covers the 'most often failed' tests and how to build the applications to pass versus testing in compliance.  Sort of a how to for the key features our Web pages typically include. Hits probably 75% of the issues and has drastically reduced testing finds.

________________________________
From: Mark Weiler
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2016 10:11:18 PM
To: WAI Interest Group
Subject: Strategies sighted web developers have come up with...

I'm curious about the range of strategies sighted web developers have come up with to verify that what they are creating actually works well with assistive technologies.  Developers would use these strategies before functional or user testing.

Examples might include: a) learning to use a range of assistive technologies b) using specialized software or plugins to simulate the experience of the assitive technology in a visual format (eg. Claws or Fangs plugins for Firefox; browser plugins that highlight boundary of ARIA landmarks; accessibility tree visualizers, etc. or c) some other techniques