Re: What's everyone's view on backwards-support, etc for ARIA

Jonathan Avila wrote:

> My guess would be that if an AT doesn’t support the nav element it might
not support the role of navigation either.

This made me curious, so I tested with NVDA 2015.1 and Internet Explorer
11. I found that this combo supports role="navigation" but does not support
<nav>.

http://evanmedia.com/accessibility/testpage/nav.html

I've continued to recommend <nav role="navigation"> because I see a benefit
for users, and no contradiction with web standards. I would not recommend
<li role="listitem">, because the HTML element alone offers accessibility
that's at least as good as the ARIA role.

"When the host language provides a feature that provides equivalent
accessibility to the WAI-ARIA feature, use the host language feature."
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/introduction

--
Mitchell Evan
mtchllvn@gmail.com