What's everyone's view on backwards-support, etc for ARIA

From: Oscar Cao <oscar.cao@live.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 15:39:44 +1100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hello

Just skimming through the draft for ARIA in HTML
<https://specs.webplatform.org/html-aria/webspecs/master/>  and I noticed it
says web devs shouldn't use ARIA ROLES to specify the role of an element
which already has that role implied via its native semantics. E.g. <nav
role="navigation"></nav>

Cannot remember which article it was that said, even though we're using
semantic mark-up we should add in the ARIA roles for older AT that does not
support the new semantic mark-up, since it does no harm, as the role is
still the same.

So what's everyone on this mailing lists' point of view on this?

Regards

Oscar