Re: 508 Refresh and Reasonable Accommodation for Low Vision

Mike,
Thanks for the references and the identification of some of the
requirements that are address in WCAG 2.0..

Wayne,
we need some more data and recommended specifications, such as when do we
specify word wrapping?  For example:
        1. Desktop: for desktop designs there are several industry
accepted breakpoints for design and testing when a site is zoom beyond 2X,
should the text wrap vs scroll left right? 2X of 1024, 1280, 1600 or 1920?
  2X of what is unacceptable to how many of whom to scroll left right?
        2. Tablet design have another breakpoint.
        3. Smart phones have another more narrow breakpoint.

This survey data and trends will help us specify when (today, future)  is
it desired to design accordingly. Example techniques that demonstrate this
desired user experience for low vision users could be added today into
WCAG 2.0 recommended techniques - nothing should hold it/us back from
doing recommended techniques.  I haven't seen any recommended techniques,
do you have some to contribute?

Would the problems experienced by users with low vision be solved by
simply specifying the most narrow breakpoint - that being smart phones? In
other words, if you got every capable website to serve you their smart
phone optimized web page/app, but have it displayed on your low vision
optimized full size monitor, would your user experience be optimized or at
least more better?

The Access Board and the WCAG working group need some proposed
specifications to work with and some benefit analysis - who and how many
are benefited.

But, and this is a big but,
now is not the time to slow down the 508 Refreesh.  The accessibility
community has been complaining that it has taken too long already, we
can't talk out of both sides of our mouths and make demands to slow it
down again if we don't have even recommend techniques to offer, survey
data, and economic benefits - all required to make a specification (or
accessibility standard) a regulation.

http://www.access-board.gov/news/1717-board-proposes-updated-ict-accessibility-requirements
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,  my comments are my personal comments, not those of IBM or
the US Access Baord