RE: PDF accessibility guidelines. WAS: Re: PDF's and Signatures

Hi Duff,

<For over a decade PDF's success has *nothing* to do with Adobe's
"strategizing and marketing" and *everything* to do with the simple,
unadorned fact that PDF meets a wide variety of needs.>
That may be the case, but these needs may turn out to be illusory and more
cheaply, easily, and accessibly fulfilled by an open alternative.

<As the late Christopher Hitchens once said: "What can be asserted without
evidence can be dismissed without evidence.">
Hheheh ... good for Christopher. Feel free to enumerate the use cases for
PDF on the web and fill this evidence hole

<I don't really know what you mean. It's true that accessible PDF has been
around for a while, albeit poorly supported by most. That can change.>
and that's the point - it can change, but it hasn't and it is unlikely to.
PDF might be accessible on paper, but it offers up a miserable user
experience on the web and not just for assistive technology users

<Or, developers simply make the necessary (and relatively modest) effort to
support tagged PDF - which is not (unlike HTML/CSS) a moving target, and
it's "job done".>
If it was so simple and modest, surely it would be ubiquitous? And why not
just use HTML and CSS in the first place?

<We'll see. I'm all for using technologies such as EPUB where appropriate. I
have yet to see EPUB files gain a significant toehold on the web.>
The question is whether we want to see more *files* on the web. For me,
that's part of the problem - the web is often understood as one giant
electronic corkboard . IF PDF offers features that people need and/or want,
let it be built into the basic structures of the web and not added as a
second-rate afterthought

Cheers,
Adam