Re: PDF accessibility guidelines. WAS: Re: PDF's and Signatures

Dear Rachel,

The issue with WCAG 2.0 is that it really does not cover the difficulties
of reading content that reaches the level of difficulty required for
academic success at the university level.  I taught computer science for 30
years, was chair of my department and chair of my university academic
senate.  As such, I know the Computer Science and Computer Engineering
curriculum extremely well.  I also have a broad, but in depth,
understanding of the readings needed in 60+ departments across campus.
I was also a student and academic professional with a print disability.
So, I know the user side of this problem in academia.  Moreover, my
particular visual disability, central retina damage, is the most common of
all visual disabilities.  I have tried every new tool for PDF almost as
soon as it is out, and being a computer scientist and mathematician, I've
done some really creative transformations of my own.

My conclusion: PDF is the biggest single impediment to academic success for
students and  professionals for the vast majority of  people with print
disabilities.  I know accessibility support for low vision is nonexistent.
The Australian government appears to agree with me on this issue.

Bottom line: Don't use PDF on any instructional materials.

It will cost you lots of money in preparing reasonable accommodations and
it will really hurt your students chances for academic success.

Official memorandum and academic policy statements are OK in PDF, but only
if they are short.

Wayne Dick
Professor Emeritus
Computer Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Long Bech