Re: Questions regarding color and readability

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gregg@raisingthefloor.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:43:51 -0500
Cc: Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>, IG - WAI Interest Group List list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: Duc Ta <duc.ta.740@my.csun.edu>
Let me introduce you to wayneedick@gmail.com <mailto:wayneedick@gmail.com>

He has looked at these issues a lot and can give you some good leads.

For allowable colors that you can use and still have needed contrast - see
Black Text on Colors that just pass at several contrast ratios <http://trace.wisc.edu/contrast-ratio-examples/Sample_Text_BlackOnColors.htm>
White Text on Colors that just pass at several contrast ratios <http://trace.wisc.edu/contrast-ratio-examples/Sample_Text_WhiteOnColors.htm>
(these are from the color samples link in Understanding WCAG 2.0 )

there are many examples here that are much less contrast than black on white —  and still pass WCAG
(PS the top rows are the ones that pass - the other rows in a block are what they look like (approx.) to people with color vision differences.

If you are looking for something tuned to one person - you can have even less contrast of course

gregg

Gregg Vanderheiden
gregg@raisingthefloor.org <mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org>