Re: Screen Magnification

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 6:15 AM, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that WCAG does all it can do
>
> I'm not sure I agree. WCAG allows for fixed sized containers and text and fixed position content.   It's unclear with fixed sizes how user agents would know where to break and reflow while still keeping the visual quality of the page similar to what it looked like.  If pages used percentages and em/rem I'd assume it would be easier for the browser to reflow the content.

GV: Not sure I follow.   How could WCAG speak to these topics across all technologies?   Your comments seem to all be HTML specific?

What do you propose that would work across technologies and content types?

> While some users may want the text to be different - I want to preserve many of the visuals of the page.
>
> I've been pleased that desktop browsers are using the zoom to change the viewport size and thus trigger responsive pages to respond on zoom.

Agree.  Very nice to see.

> Jon
>
> On Jun 23, 2015, at 12:57 AM, Gregg Vanderheiden <gregg@raisingthefloor.org <mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org>> wrote:
>
>> I think that WCAG does all it can do.
>>
>> I think the rest is up to AT and user agents.
>>
>> RE the User agent provision you cited —  I can’t quite tell if that is enough or not.   Not clear from wording.
>>
>> gregg
>>
>> ----------------------------------
>> Gregg Vanderheiden
>> gregg@raisingthefloor.org <mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org>
>>

>>> On Jun 22, 2015, at 7:27 PM, Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com <mailto:pjenkins@us.ibm.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, I have to admit that I now lost in this thread.
>>>
>>> back to the issue:

>>> I agree. So what requirements (if any) are being suggested that authors and page developer can always do?
>>> Can someone tell me what are some examples of how the author or developer makes it hard or more difficult if they already conform with WCAG 2.0 A and AA?
>>> For example, is there some additional universal requirement beyond 1.4.1 Resize Text Level AA?
>>> Any advisory technique that could be submitted?  most all are welcome.
>>>
>>> Seems that this thread is really trying to or should be trying to describe what the browser +/- AT can or should be doing, and perhaps isn't currently doing..

>>> OK, this "ignore page width" requirement sounds like a new UAAG requirement for discussion - correct?
>>>
>>> or is it already addressed by UAAG 1.4.3 and UAAG 1.4.4?
>>>
>>> UAAG 1.4.3 Blocks of text (Globally):
>>> The user can globally <http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/#def-global-configuration> set all of the following characteristics of visually rendered blocks of text <http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/#def-blocks-of-text>: (Level AA)
>>>
>>> Character spacing, choosing from a range with at least 5 values
>>> Justification (left or right, including turning off full justification)
>>> Margins around blocks of text
>>> Note: For the purposes of UAAG 2.0, the base character width is the font width of the character commonly accepted as the base character for calculating kerning in the typography for that language (e.g. zero character in English).
>>>  <>UAAG 1.4.4 Configured and Reflowed Text Printing:
>>>
>>> The user can print the rendered content <http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/#def-rendered-content>, and the following are all true: (Level AA)
>>> a.        any visual, non-time-based, rendered content can be printed
>>> b.        the user can choose between available printing devices <http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/#def-printing-devices>
>>> c.        the user can have content printed as it is rendered on screen, reflecting any user scaling, highlighting, and other modifications