Re: role="presentation" [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

On 13/05/2015 09:56, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> Yes, the table is for layout, and I said so in the first mail. But my
> point is that because what is in that table live up to all or most of
> the criteria for being also a data table (strong relationships), the
> users of screen readers are better off if role="presentation" is not
> used.

And, as Steve Faulkner has already pointed out, screen readers will
already announce the number of options without a table. And if the radio
buttons have an explicit label, there's also no need for further
"relationship" building structure. So no, screen reader users aren't
really "better off" (at least not by any objective measure...some may
not mind having a table there of course, but that doesn't mean it's
always right to do it), you're just adding further noise to your form by
including row/column announcements.

> So far no one has dared answer my question:
>
> "Do we have situations where a table for design is so close to also
> being a data table that the user of screen readers are better off if
> we don't use role="presentation"?

Many people have, in fact, "dared" to question your specific example.
You just don't seem to like the answers.

> It is so easy to put in a role="presentation". But I do want to give a
> damn. I want to go for the most accessible.

...and somehow implying that those who don't agree with you are just
lazy for still suggesting the addition of role="presentation" is perhaps
not the best way to gain further support/consensus for your idea, I'd say.

Patrick H. Lauke