AW: Screen readers do not obey language changes in HTML

Hi Christophe, Phil,

Thanks a lot. That about APIs confirms what I feared. The way you point, Christophe, is probably so complicated that the JAWS and NVDA developers push the task back so long - because the bug is posted by both for long now.

Ciao     Mario

Von: Christophe Strobbe [mailto:strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29. April 2015 16:13
An: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Betreff: Re: Screen readers do not obey language changes in HTML

Hi Mario,

On 29/04/2015 14:22, Batusic, Mario wrote:
[snip].
Now my question: Is this problem due to MSAA / UIAutomation / iAccessible2 missing the possibility for the Browser to set proper language for AT? Has the iAccessible2 maybe also this problem or the Screen readers do not use it? Have Screen readers technically a possibility to combine their focus mode with their awareness of the defined human language for the whole document and for its parts that they show during function in the browse / virtual cursor mode?

When I compared accessibility APIs in the AEGIS project (roughly five years ago), I did not see anything like language metadata - not in any of the accessibility APIs that I looked at. So it seems that screen readers cannot rely on the platform accessibility API to get the UI language; they would need to get this information by other means, possibly by parsing the DOM.

The mapping tables in the WAI-ARIA spec also don't list anything like UI language: <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-implementation/#mapping_role_table><http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-implementation/#mapping_role_table>.

Best regards,

Christophe

Thanks in advance.
Mario

--

Christophe Strobbe

Akademischer Mitarbeiter

Responsive Media Experience Research Group (REMEX)

Hochschule der Medien

Nobelstraße 10

70569 Stuttgart

Tel. +49 711 8923 2749

"It is possible to make a living making free software for freedom

instead of closed-source proprietary malware for cops."

Jacob Appelbaum,

<http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/><http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/>