From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2015 8:11 AM
To: Madhavi Herle; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Forms and error messages

> If testing a large form with a lot of input fields, where would you prefer to see the error messages?

Is it before the start of the form with links to the form fields or error messages just before the form fields?

With a large form I agree it makes sense to warn the user about the issues as they occur so they can address them.  Also leaving in the errors at the top of the form will provide a summary for people who have trouble locating the fields in error after submit.

I wrote a blog on this topic called How to Provide Accessible Error Identification<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/how-to-provide-accessible-error-identification/&k=wdHsQuqY0Mqq1fNjZGIYnA%3D%3D%0A&r=BZ6CdqPuZxsk4U7Iz0ccrx2LhXuvsPtUHXMi0Eoaai4%3D%0A&m=sKLWFlIWxBj0TaP%2FdI7MVw9wnOauF5vd5AUcB5wo%2Fhg%3D%0A&s=91e0600e54e372050aab711d0eb5b875eafd198a12084c288d8edb54d86b4052> last year.  It covers a few other topics such as submit buttons that are disabled until the user fills the form correctly.

Jonathan

--

Jonathan Avila

Chief Accessibility Officer

SSB BART Group

jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com<mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>

703-637-8957 (o)

Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter