From: Olaf Drümmer [mailto:olaf@druemmer.com]
Sent: November-21-14 11:00 AM
To: Joe Chidzik
Cc: Olaf Drümmer; Mark Barratt; Oscar Cao; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Feedback

On 21 Nov 2014, at 16:41, Joe Chidzik <joe.chidzik@abilitynet.org.uk> wrote:

>(it just slows down reading and increases error rate while reading).

Whilst I’ve always thought that this is the case for large blocks of text,
can you cite a source\research for this?

I learnt all this when I went to university in the eighties studying
psychology. I'd have to dig out the sources (but won;t have the bandwidth to
do this right away).

Just one bit everybody seems to overlook when arguing that these pieces of
text - like entries in a navigation menu or button labels - are short, and
thus the rules valid for longer pieces of text don't apply: a typical web
user will read lots of text while consuming a web page, and navigation items
or button labels etc. are just portions of a large amount of text that is
taken in.   This is a situation completely different from looking at a
comparably small number of labels on a washing machine, or maybe even in a
fast jet's cockpit (and in the latter case: a 'user' in a fast jet's cockpit
would typically not read all the labels to be found in the cockpit, but will
typically have to identify a label that was expected to be present, or has
to validate that a label belongs to an instrument that was expected.

Olaf