From: Lainey Feingold [mailto:lfeingold1@earthlink.net]
Sent: 20 November 2014 15:56
To: w3c WAI List
Subject: Shout out to WCAG in most recent U.S. DOJ Settlement

For those who missed it:

This week the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) announced a web and mobile
settlement with Pea Pod Grocery Delivery that has a line to warm our hearts:

"Inaccessible websites and mobile applications persist even while there are
well-established industry guidelines - the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 - for making web content accessible."

Press release here:
http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-enters-settlement-agreement
-peapod-ensure-peapod-grocery-delivery-website

Settlement Agreement here:
http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/press-releases/attachments/20
14/11/17/peapod_settlement_agreement.pdf

The U.S. government can't seem to issue web regulations that apply to the
private sector, but we have a Justice Department that is sending a very
clear message to businesses of all types: your sites and mobile apps must be
accessible, and the way to do it is to meet WCAG 2.0 AA.  (Links to other
DOJ pro-web accessibility actions are in a post I wrote in June:
http://lflegal.com/2014/06/doj-delay/

Lainey (who had nothing to do with the Peapod case - just the bearer of good
news)

Lainey Feingold

Law Office of Lainey Feingold

http://LFLegal.com

510.548.5062

LF@LFLegal.com

http://twitter.com/LFLegal

confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly
prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in
error, please e-mail the sender at LF@LFLegal.com and delete it permanently
from your computer files.  Thank you.