Re: Opinions on accessible time formatting

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 18:56:38 +0000
To: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Cc: Andy Keyworth <akeyworth@tbase.com>, WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
On 8 November 2014 17:45, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:

> Not the biggest problem to solve, but it also appears that a solution is in
> hand. So, can we get screen readers to do something useful with HTML5's
> @datetime? Who wants to file bugs?

I would suggest that browser bugs be filed to

1. expose the the element name as a role=time property
2. expose datetime attribute as a property in accessibility APis

this will provide a common interface for AT to access the semantics.

see Filing bugs http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2014/06/filing-bugs/

note similar semantic information exposure has recently been implemented
for the newer HTML5 input types such as URL/email etc in Firefox and chrome.

--

Regards

SteveF