From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:51 PM
To: Userite
Cc: Oscar Cao; WAI Interest Group
Subject: Re: Skipping of headings

one thing authors can do is clearly identify the main content area of a page. HTML5 has an element for it: <main> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/grouping-content.html#the-main-element

--

Regards

SteveF

On 23 October 2014 01:30, Userite <richard@userite.com> wrote:

Dear Oscar,

Thank you for your reply. To deal with your comments in turn-

The content of a web page is *everything* between the <body> tags. W3C describes the content that resides within the main content area as “main content”. This is an important distinction (page content/main content) that you need to be aware of when reading the guidelines.

I agree that using H2 heading for additional material might be confusing for blind users, which is why WCAG tells us to use appropriate descriptive text for heading. As I mentioned in my initial reply you could use <h2>Site navigation</h2> for your navigation bar and <h2>Additional links</h2> for your supplementary material. The text of the heading is what a blind person hears, not just “heading level two”.

Kind Regards

Richard