Re: Clarification on normative glossary definition of "Large scale (text)"

The WCAG definition covers the issues quite well.  The issues raised in these various posts was considered in creating the SC and the definitions.

The goal is to have text be larger than typical font.    The size that a font appears to the user is dependent on lots of things - like zoom of browser, pixel density of the display, scaling (some displays like the retina) do not render a pixel as one pixel on the display, viewing distance, etc — all of which are outside of the control of the author — so it is meaningless to have an accessibility guideline for web authors that requires that the user see the font in a particular size, or angle subtended.

So the guidelines were written to talk about minimum RELATIVE size of the font.   If the font is relatively larger — and the user does not use a screen resolution that is too dense — it all works out.    If the user with low vision looks at the content from a distance,  or with a high screen pixel density / screen resolution,  then the author cannot be responsible.     There is an implied contract here — that authors do x part and users do y.   Authors cannot do it all and WCAG doesn’t imply they should.    For example,  Authors do not have to make their content accessible to people who are blind.  They only have to make their content be exposed in a way that a user could use as screen reader to make it accessible to them.   Similarly, for low vision the goal it to put it within reach.  For some - just making it 1.5x font size is sufficient.  For others they may need to zoom the text.

Regards.

Gregg

it is defined elsewhere