Re: H43 and header cell relationships

Hi Jonathan,

PDF, in its definition for Tagged PDF, had it right since 2001:

about the Headers attribute in ISO 32000-1, Table 349 – Standard table attributes, page 610:
> This attribute may apply to header cells (TH) as well as data cells (TD) (see Table 337). Therefore, the headers associated with any cell shall be those in its Headers array plus those in the Headers array of any TH cells in that array, and so on recursively.
[this is also the reason I thought that HTML just does it the same way, but seemingly I was wrong (or maybe not - maybe HTML4/5 does not explicitly prohibit nested use of the headers attribute?)]

Having done a lot of research about tables in the last few months, I am by now highly confident that PDF conceptually does the right thing, and that what HTML suggests is conceptually inappropriate (and hinders reliable use of the headers attribute). Once I find the time I will put together a paper illustrating this but currently I am too busy with my day to day job….

Olaf