Re: HTML5 DL Element vs. WCAG 2.0 Success Criteria

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 10:01:39 +0000
To: Jan Eric Hellbusch <hellbusch@2bweb.de>
Cc: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
hi Jan,

--

Regards

SteveF

On 15 February 2014 09:28, Jan Eric Hellbusch <hellbusch@2bweb.de> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> > Do AT convey the semantics as some would wish them to? probably not, but
> this
> > does not constitute a lack of 'accessibility support'.
>
> Announcing the number of list items is always confusing when nested lists
> are involved, because all items (instead of only the top level items) are
> counted. From a screenreader point of view DL lists are accessible, but
> they
> do not relay the visual information properly. The semantics are only a part
> of the problem.

unclear what you mean, what is the behaviour you get in DL's and what is
the behaviour you expect?
where is it defined how the visual information should be relayed properly?

> As pointed out in a previous mail in this thread, they are not easy to
> navigate in screenreaders. Using Ctrl+arrow keyes DDs are grouped with the
> followings Dts instead of vice versa in JAWS.

it would be helpful to know what the Ctrl+arrow key is supposed to do in
list avigation, I had a look in JAWS help and couldn't find it as a defined
stroke combo for navigating lists (but it is defined for tables)