RE: HTML5 DL Element vs. WCAG 2.0 Success Criteria

From: Jan Eric Hellbusch <hellbusch@2bweb.de>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 09:24:46 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Thanks, Ramón,

> Definition lists are not accessibility supported. Period.

As a screen reader user I have always thought of definition lists as bad web
design. I use JAWS and of course it is the way JAWS deals with definition
lists. My usual way of navigating through content ist with Ctrl+arrow keys
and when it komes to definition lists, JAWS will join the DD with the
following DT and not the DT with its following DDs. I am running JAWS 13
with IE11 here and it is still that way.

[...]

> I admit that tables might not be the best solution and that they look
> "ugly" in terms of semantics, but they are quite more accessibility
> supported and far more easy to understand. Even simple <ul> or <ol>
> lists have better support; at least the screen readers announce a
> "nesting level" that conveys an extra piece of "relationship".

You get the nesting levels with DL as well.

Tables are a lot easier to use in a screen reader than DL for 2 column data.
In some situations it might be semantically prettier to use DL, but what
counts is how users can deal with code.

Jan

--
Jan Eric Hellbusch
Tel.: +49 (231) 33005825 oder +49 (163) 3369925