Re: Seeking feedback on IAAP certification roadmap

David,

Thanks for your detailed feedback.

Affordability is a sensitive issue that the IAAP has heard over and over
from many people, so we are well aware of the need to make things
affordable, in particular for people with disabilities. I don't know
exactly how that is going to play out, since I can't speak for the entire
IAAP on that issue, but I can definitely say that the people in IAAP are
taking that concern very seriously.

As for the idea that certification is an effort to control the ecosystem,
we're also aware of that concern. The certification assessments will be
designed in such a way as to test transferable knowledge across
technologies and tools. We haven't yet designed the actual assessment, so I
can't say at this point whether any specific tools (such as tools by Deque,
SSB Bart, WebAIM, HiSoft or others) will be a part of the assessment. We're
aware of the need to be vendor neutral. And in fact, it is possible to do
everything without any vendor tools, so the assessment may not look
specifically at any of them. That part has yet to be decided. We want to
create something generalizable, but also test skills that are practical to
employers, who may want to hire people with skills on a specific tool. So
those are things we will discuss as we go forward. As always, public input
is welcome during the process.

Paul Bohman, PhD
Director of Training
Deque Systems, Inc