*From:* renrez [mailto:renrez@renrez.com]
*Sent:* Monday, August 19, 2013 8:38 PM
*To:* w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
*Subject:* RE: screen reader reporting of negative values

Hi

I am working on this problem with Roger, from our testing to date NVDA is
reading most variations correctly. JAWS however appears to ignore the
standard dash (-), which has led to considering other alternatives like
− and non HTML character methods. The following html character
variations we have tested include:

1. -
2. —
3. −
4. −
5. —

We also tested these variations with and without a space between the html
characters and the numeric value.

The other method considered is adding <span>minus</span> before -$568.09
and hiding with absolute positioning, the downside is the minus text and
dash can both be heard although that is preferred to a negative value that
isn't identified at all.

&mdash; appears consistent/reliable in our testing as is inserting
with John's point that the solution must work with a screen readers default
settings.

Would appreciate any other suggestions to this problem.

Thanks

Adam Zerner