Re: screen reader reporting of negative values

It is not unusual to use parenthesis too for negative numbers like in
financial statements. It is standard practice and depends on the org.
Screen readers can be configured to announce dashes and (, ) etc. by
adjusting punctuation verbosity.
Authors should not spend time  on this issue.
Maybe, simply notify the users that negative numbers are denoted by
parenthesis or the minus sign.
The users will do the needful depending on data being consumed and how
it is important to the reader.
Surely it should not be denoted using CSS or ‐ ‐, etc.
Regards,
Sailesh Panchang