RE: HTML5 - DRM - accessibility

accessys@smart.net wrote:

> from what I am hearing it will not work at all on Linux
> based systems
>
> Bob

I'm not sure what you are hearing (or what the "it" is you are speaking about), but the EME API is AFAIK system agnostic.

*What* is being connected via that API may or may not work on all systems, but that has nothing to do with the W3C, nor the Encrypted Media Extension.  I urge you to do some specific testing and research, rather than listen to the large volumes of (at times) misleading information that is circulating on the net today. (For example, Chrome OS is based upon Linux - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS, and Netflix is now streaming encrypted media to Chrome Books, leveraging the EME API, so right away I would say that your statement is at least partially false and seriously misleading.)

The W3C is not working on a DRM system.

To repeat: the W3C *IS NOT* working on a DRM system!

If commercial vendors of Premium Content wish to encrypt their content in such a way as to leave some users unable to access that Premium Content (due to incompatibilities between operating systems) then you should direct your frustration towards those vendors.  The W3C and this list is neither the place nor the person to affect change there.

We must also all remember that the "Open Web Platform" does not instantly translate to "Open Source": to be truly open, the web must have a place for both FOSS and Commercial offerings, warts and all. I personally would fight any movement that insisted that everything on the web had to be free (or else).

Remember as well that we are talking about Premium Commercial content, such as Hollywood films or television content, and not 'critical' public data such as government records, etc. I want to be able to watch Lord Of The Rings any time I want, but unfortunately I cannot find a copy of that film in Beta-Max. That scenario is not a refusal of access, that is a limited availability to specific devices, and if I want to view that movie, I need to have the required device(s). (I can't watch DVD's on my cell phone, or run Super-8 films on my laptop either).

JF

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
 If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,