RE: Rethinking the necessities of ARIA landmark role "main" and HTML5 <main> element

Can you give an example of how this might be implemented, because I cannot see any sensible way to do so? If the content the user wants to jump to is not marked with <main> or role=main, surely the only way to jump to it is by exception i.e. the user indicates they want to jump somewhere but not to any of the explicit landmarks.

How does your solution work if the user has already navigated past the main content so they need to navigate backwards? It seems to me that a 'skip to main content' feature would work from anywhere on a page whereas a 'skip past the next n sections' feature may not (maybe it can - I can't envision how it would be implemented).

Steve Green

From: Ian Hickson [ian@hixie.ch]
Sent: 27 March 2013 02:11
To: JF
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Rethinking the necessities of ARIA landmark role "main" and  HTML5 <main> element

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, JF wrote:

> A man arrives at the San Jose airport in Silicon Valley.
>
> "I want to go to the campus" he tells the cab driver.
>
> "The Stanford campus?", asks the cabbie.
>
> [...]

Could you explain to me how this analogy corresponds to the discussion? In
the interface I am proposing, there is no repeated questioning. The user
indicates to the software that the user wishes to skip uninteresting
content and jump to interesting content, in a single action (exactly the
same kind of action as is used to jump to a header, or to jump to a
specific landmark role). Then, the user agent skips all uninteresting
content and jumps straight to the content the user wants (the same content
as would be marked with <main> or role=main).

The user experience is _exactly_ the same as the experience possible with
explicit landmark roles. The only difference is how it is marked up.