Re: Rethinking the necessities of ARIA landmark role "main" and HTML5 <main> element

On 24/03/2013 03:24, Ian Yang wrote:
> About the "skip to main content" link, I have heard suggestions said
> that it's also useful for some other users (laptop users, etc) who can
> only navigate by using keyboard. So maybe it should not be replaced even
> if AT are all working well with ARIA landmark roles.

Having main content explicitly defined in the markup (rather than any
hand-rolled "skip to..." link and arbitrary in-page anchor / fragment
ID) makes it trivially easy for browsers to also natively implement a
shortcut to it, or to allow extension authors to do it. This would also
benefit keyboard users.

Patrick H. Lauke