RE: ARIA role restrictions in HTML5

[Joe Chidzik wrote] It is good practice to use appropriate HTML elements
first, and then fall back to ARIA for modifying an existing

My concern is what we agree upon as a good practice is just that “a good
practice” but not a requirement.  In practical terms developers will only
use ARIA headings for content that should be a native HTML heading and will
claim conformance to WCAG 2.  You can say this is bad coding or say what
you will but bad coding is not a failure of WCAG 2 or Section 508.  HTML
validation isn’t a requirement of WCAG 2 or Section 508 either.

Other WCAG sufficient techniques such as including off-screen text in links
are also seen as bad coding practices that should be avoided – yet they are
sufficient to meet the requirements.  The challenge would then be to apply
the accessibility supported conformance requirement as a functional
requirement to ensure the experience is equivalent to using native
elements.  Perhaps an update to the UAAG to translate ARIA roles and
properties into the features in user agents beyond the accessibility API.

Jonathan