Re: Accessible PDF Repair

I agree 100% with Devarshi's comments. The tools are definitely designed for visual mouse use. As someone looking to use the keyboard more, I would prefer some tools where tags could be added within the PDF text stream. That's another reason I prefer working with HTML.

FWIW - I would prefer the repairs to occur in tools like Microsoft Word or InDesign and have those tools be accessible.

I would add that there's a paradox that someone trying to repair a document for a screen reader within a screen reader environment. Unless a document is already screen reader accessible, I am not sure how well it can be repaired within a screen reader. That may my limited imagination though.

Elizabeth

On Mar 1, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Devarshi Pant <devarshipant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jim,
> Using one of the features called the touch-up reading order [in its entirety] seems daunting enough with a keyboard, let alone a screen reader; not to mention that someone would need to visually discern the position, draw a rectangle around the content, and then tag it. There are other features like rearranging tags, content, etc. that require significant mouse use. Don't know anyone with a screen reader who remediates pdf. If there are, please share info on how you would remediate.
> -Devarshi
>

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Homme, James <james.homme@highmark.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So far I haven't heard of an accessible method for someone who is blind to do PDF repair accessibly once a document gets into programs such as Adobe Acrobat. Is this accurate? By that I'm referring to the interface that someone might use to do touch up and edit tags.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Jim
>

> This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer
Education Technology Services, TLT/ITS