RE: aria-readonly questions

Hi Jonathan,

in generell you are right and that was the way the web was initially designed to
be. But the web is always in movement.
A rich internet application often supports patterns where a dialog is in a
read-only mode and therefore input fields are readonly.
Then there is an edit button that switches the fields to editable.

Using disabled has many undesired effects such as:
* The input fields are greyed out - for some widgets it is impossible to change
this via CSS.
* Users of screenreaders can not easily read the content while in readonly mode.

If you instead use readonly, users of screenreaders can still tab through the
fields and read the values of the form.
Then they can decide if they want to edit or if everything is fine already just
as a seeing user would do.
But screenreaders currently read these fields as editable ("edit") what is
technically wrong and there is no way to
express this with WAI ARIA if you also want to specify an according role such as
combobox.

HTML5 changed towards the direction that common attributes are now allowed
everywhere instead only in specific elements.
For ARIA it is worth to think about this trend as well. That is why I also think
that the spec should tell screenreader implementors to use
standard HTML attributes and states such as readonly and disabled as fallback if
not overriden with the more specific aria-* attribute.

I seriously want to challenge the current ARIA spec and IMHO it should be
changed.

Regards
  Jörg