Re: The future of WCAG – maximising its strengths not its weaknesses

WCAG 2.0 is a well researched and thought out document, and like just
about every document setting standards it is great until it meets the real
world.

the feed back I have heard is mostly in two catagories.

1. I don't/can't/won't understand it, it is over my head, way too
complicated etc etc.   part of this stems from the fact that websites are
now being made more and more often by the lesser trained people who are
becoming webmasters.
  The web is being used much more casually and has a lot more "do it
yourselfers" involved.
  The commercial webmaking products for the "Do it yourselfer" or mostly
glossing over the or even ignoring access.  or it is in a seperate
"chapter" that many just skip over.  it is still not mainstream.(our
work/fault)

2. The users are not keeping up or understanding or being involved enough
in the creation of the document,  the testers being used are for the most
part fairly computer literate and don't adequately represent the true
nature of the population that needs and/or uses the output documents and
websites.

I try but am still guilty of the above.  but rather than placing blame how
can we find a way to make this document understandable to the "masses" and
how do we get it used by even the most inexperienced part time webmaster,
the single enterperneur who along with running a business full time also
maintains their businesses website..

unfortunately more questions than answers.  but I believe that rather than
tinkering with the current document, we spend our time making this
document, flawed though it may be, understood and used WORLD WIDE not just
among the computer literate but making the users of computers literate in
what it means and how it is accomplished.

just my couple pennies thrown into the pot

Bob