Re: Page length and number of links

On 21/06/2013 13:22, Elizabeth J. Pyatt wrote:
> It's not exactly a guideline, but Jakob Nielsen and others discuss
> eye tracking studies and other research which suggest that online
> readers (sighted and unsighted) scan pages rather than reading them
> in depth.

Although this is tangential, I'm personally suspicious of this old
"distinction" being made (in various "writing for the web" style guides
and courses) that users scan pages online rather than reading them in
depth...because I'd posit that people do exactly the same thing with
printed material as well (I guess you don't pick up a newspaper
broadsheet and read it top-left to bottom-right) and that this really
depends on the type of content and what the reader's purpose actually is
(am I reading a story, for pleasure, or quickly going over some
documentation to find something I'm after).

But anyway, that's just me ;)

Patrick H. Lauke