RE: Accessible does not imply usable (was International Web Access Guidelines "Ineffective", PhD thesis Claims)

[Gregg wrote]

Ø  accessibility standards  (which might be enforced) are limited to only
those parts of usability that are discriminatory if left undone.

I agree.  I’ve also seen a potentially concerning trend to link
accessibility for people with disabilities to open data.  Accessibility for
people with disabilities (PWD) and Section 508 requirements center around
providing equivalent access to the information that people without
disabilities have access to.  While open data and accessibility for PWD may
share some common traits – they are not the same.  Accessibility for PWD
generally has wide partisan support while open data tends to be more of a
political issue.  Linking the two could potentially cause people to 1)
piggy back on the accessibility to PWD standards for other reasons and
cause others to be against the accessibility for PWD movement.  This isn’t
the first time that this type of linkage has occurred.  In 1999 there were
many people who likened accessibility with Y2K and then accessibility was
later packaged with security and then privacy tools.

Jonathan