International Web Access Guidelines “Ineffective”, PhD thesis Claims

From: Jorge Fernandes <jorge.f@netcabo.pt>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 18:11:10 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
A recent published PhD thesis of York University [1] wrote the follow statement in the abstract:

"Comparisons between user problems and WCAG 1.0 and WCAG 2.0 did not show any significant relationship between user-based measures of accessibility and most measures based on technical guidelines."

I have difficulty mostly to understand what this kind of statements means.

- it's means that there aren't significative relationship between WCAG and user problems? or;
- it's means that there aren't significative relationship between WCAG and the way we are trying to measure the WCAG?

[1]
Freire, André Pimenta. (2012). Disabled people and the Web: User-based measurement of accessibility. PhD thesis, University of York.
http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3873/

Jorge Fernandes

 universalaccess.blogspot.com