Re: How Does Guideline 3.1.1 Affect Accessibility?

On 13/05/2013 14:28, Homme, James wrote:
> Guideline 3.1.1: The default human language of each Web page can be
> programmatically
> determined.
>                  (Level A).
>
> Since this is level (a), and I'm an English-only speaker, I'm asking
> this question. If we have pages in another language, I'm guessing that
> someone who uses speech would have difficulty using those pages. Is that
> correct? Or are there also other accessibility considerations? Thanks
> for your enlightenment.

Yes, and also the other way around: if there's a non-english-speaking
user who has their system set up by default to, say, French, then - even
if your page is in English and it works fine for you - they need that
hint for their AT (screenreader, narrator, etc) to switch to English
pronunciation.

Patrick H. Lauke