Re: Remove "placeholder" attribute from HTML and turn it into a CSS feature

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Sailesh Panchang
<sailesh.panchang@deque.com> wrote:
> The HTML5 specs for placeholder clearly say that placeholder text is
> not a replacement for the control's accessible label.
> It can be used for advisory text like input formats as Jonathan illustrated.
> And it is a great help as it no longer requires developers to write JS
> code or such to  control the display / removal of the placeholder
> text. Sometimes due to a bug in the code, the text does not disappear
> as the user types in and incorrect data gets submitted.
> So with this attribute, the user agent will do the  work instead.
> Browser and AT combinations need to support the  attribute uniformly.

Yes. So far its only usefulness I could see is acting as advisory text
like input formats as Jonathan illustrated. And so there probably were
some misunderstandings about the name "placeholder". It should have
been named as "advisorytext" or simply "format" because "placeholder"
is more of a design/styling/dummy thing. Besides, it doesn't actually
hold any place, does it? It disappears when its container gets
focused.

Kind Regards,
Ian Yang